Friday, July 21, 2006

Help from the masses *Updated to add: I am an idiot*

If you live anywhere near me, you are having a major heat wave going on right now. (From what I see on the news, it would be pretty hard to guess where I live, since practically the whole country is in the middle of a heat wave. Global warming, anyone?)

So last night, with my hair all sticky and my thighs slick with sweat (and oh the google searches I will probably get with this one), I came upstairs to pump, and suddenly had this horrifying thought:
What if we have a blackout? As in, no power?
Because...because that would mean, of course, that I would not be able to pump.

I have one pump. An electric. I do not own a manual.

So, in the interest of saving my breasts from certain pain if we should lose power for more than a few hours, not to mention the breast milk that will be trapped inside them, I am asking my readers for help.

What manual pump would you recommend, and why? What pump wouldn't you recommend, and why? I would like as much advice and endorsements as possible. I am planning on going to Target later today and buying a manual breast pump, just in case.

What say you, ladies?

*ADDED*
My husband just looked at my pump, and very casually reminded me that it can run on batteries. Which I totally forgot. (What with the heat, and exhaustion, and sweaty thighs and all....)

7 Comments:

Blogger persephone said...

Pumpmom, my last post was about a power failure of a different sort, and all my readers seemed to be recommending the Avent Isis as the backup of choice. Sounds like you won't need it, but just in case you do.

I so admire anyone who pumps exclusively. All power to you! Heh.

10:58 AM  
Blogger Liz Miller said...

Laughing with you, not at you. BTDT.

12:20 PM  
Blogger Jo said...

You can pretty much tell the quality of a pump by who manufactures it. Pumps made by companies who make bottle feeding supplies? Um, not so good. i.e. Avent, Gerber.
Pumps made for women who are producing breastmilk? Good. i.e. Medela (sp.)etc.

12:38 PM  
Blogger Kristin @ Intrepid Murmurings said...

Ha! Hooray for batteries! But in any case, I do really like my Avent Isis, bottle-maker or no (I also have another identical one that is part of my Avent Duo IQ, so I could, theoretically, use both manuals at the same time). Anyway, it is comfortable and the handle is nice. I have a manual cylinder-type one that was part of my Medala kit when I rented, and it just seems way too awkward....though I haven't tried it, so who knows. just my $.02

10:38 PM  
Blogger Lady Epiphany said...

I have a Medela Pump in Style and the Avent Isis, and I'd say I actually like the Isis better. It pumps almost as efficently as my Medela, and is much quieter. Also, I can throw the Isis into her diaper bag, the Medela is a separate thing to lug.

Anyway, hope everyone got through yesterday's weather OK.

- 9 weeks pumping

9:34 AM  
Blogger Katrina said...

I have a Medela Pump in Style for home and work, and an Avent isis hand pump for those on the go emergencies. :) I love it and I get just as much (if not more!) milk with it as the PIS

6:58 PM  
Blogger h. said...

I totally understand. But I would strongly advocate getting the Costco pack of batteries and teh battery pack for your current pump.

I mean, if there is a blackout, how do you intend to sterilize and assemble a pump you're not familiar with?

I say this because I have two AC adapters and two Costco packs of batteris and the battery pack for my pump/aka lifeline.

11:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home