Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Storage containers (and a big thank you to Cecily!)

First of all, I owe a big heartfelt thank you to Cecily for linking to my blog. I'm so happy to get so many comments, suggestions, and support from fellow pumpers!!

It sucks, doesn't it?

I especially want to thank the ladies who suggested lukewarm water for thawing out the milk. I tried it yesterday, and it worked like magic. I put a few bags of breast milk in a bowl with lukewarm water, and fifteen minutes later, it was almost (but not quite) completely thawed out (but still very cold). Perfect for putting back into the fridge. By the time I needed it, it was thawed out completely, and I just warmed it up in the bottle warmer. It took less time, and I didn't have to wonder about the milk thawing out unevenly.

So now I need some collective advice when it comes to freezer containers/bags. I've been using the Lansinoh freezer bags to freeze my milk. But I'm really not satisfied with them at all.

1. They have these plastic flaps over the ziplock, which can suddenly fold over the openning as you're trying to pour in the milk, making the milk spill out.
2. They don't stand up by themselves.
3. The measuring ounces written on the sides of the bags are completely wrong.
4. The milk is difficult to pour out of the bag without spillage (also because of the flaps).
5. The bags are actually not that durable. Just yesterday, I had to throw away a six-ounce bag of breast milk, because as I was thawing it out, I realized that there was a hole on the bottom of the bag, and the milk was dribbling out. Which also meant that contaminants could have gotten into the breast milk.

Gerber makes a self-standing bag, but their bags also have the flaps over the ziplock. (In fact, now that I'm looking into it, it looks like all the ziplock bags have flaps over the tops.) The Mother's Own Milk storage bags look really difficult: they don't have a ziplock system at all, just have some kind of twist-tie. Spillage looks way too likely to me. (But if you've used the twist-tie bags, and you've had good experience with them, please comment!)

You can also buy storage containers for the freezer, as opposed to bags. Evenflo makes some really cool looking containers, for instance. So does Avent. But the containers seem to be way more expensive than the bags, and some of them can't be used more than a few times.

Of course, the most convenient way to go would probably have to be buying freezer containers that match your pump, so that you can just pump right into the freezer containers. For instance, since I have the Ameda Hollister pump, I could buy the Ameda bag of containers; Medela also makes containers specially designed for their pumps. But this way can get extremely expensive if you are planning on freezing a lot of milk.

Any advice, ladies?

11 Comments:

Blogger Ann said...

Hi, I found you from Cecily's blog. I pumped exclusively for my daughter for just over 5 months. She was born with a cleft palate and couldn't breastfeed. It was really hard and took alot of commitment (especially since it took us 45 minutes to get 1 & 1/2 ounces into her at first). I commend you for sticking with pumping, alot of people would just think, oh well, he doesn't want to latch, bring on the formula.
I used the Lansinoh bags and they were OK, but I did occasionally have problems with leakage at the bottom during thawing. It would break my heart to have to throw away milk after struggling so hard to pump it. I have a box of lansinoh bags that I only took a few out of if anyone wants it.
I rented a double electric pump from the hospital. It worked really well. I'm pretty sure it was a medela.
As far as milk storage, I kept fresh milk in the fridge for no more than 3 days. I only thawed milk when I needed it. Like I might throw a bag from the freezer into the fridge in the morning if I knew I would use it that day. Also, I read somewhere to make sure not to store BM in the door of the fridge, since the temperature there varies so much. I kept it on the top shelf and always put new bottles in the back and took the older ones from the front.
Hope this helps and keep up the good work. It may feel like you are alone doing what you are doing, but that's far from the truth.

11:31 AM  
Blogger pumpmom said...

Myrita, I looked up your link. Those bottles on the rack look amazing, and it's not too expensive either. But I couldn't make out how many ounces each bottle holds.

Ceece, from what I read, it's not a good idea to use regular freezer bags, since they're not designed specifically for breastmilk, and aren't sterilized. However, I LOVE your idea of snipping off a corner of the bag before I pour. I wish I had read your comment earlier, before I accidentally spilled a few ounces of thawed milk when the milk poured out of the bag too fast. UGH!

4:50 PM  
Blogger Liz Miller said...

I used the twist-tie bags and they worked fine. I pumped into the regular medela bottles, marked the bag with how much I was going to put in the bag and then poured into the bag and sealed it up. Then I would put two or three individual bags into a ziplock freezer bag. Those little bags are so small we lost a few of them behind other things before I started putting them together in larger bags.

7:44 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

I use a Whisper Wear for pumping at work, so I've got no options regarding storage bags. Fortunately I like their bags.
DH has got it down to a system, since he's the one that handles the bagged milk.
We refrigerate bags during the week and freeze over the weekend, rotating freezer stash. This means that Monday is the only day frozen bags must be thawed - a day's worth of frozen bags go in the refrigerator in the morning.
Refrigerated bags are gently warmed for a few min in a coffee cup of warm water, then DH snips a good sized hole at the top of the bag and pours into a bottle. Whisper Wear bags have a handy tear-away notch at the top, but he finds scissors easier as tearing sometimes results in spilling.

5:37 AM  
Blogger Mere said...

Hi,
I just read your post and can sympathize. The bags you see in my picture of the Freezer Stash were actually given to me by the NICU. They are not branded as far as I know and they do not stand on their own and do not show the ounces. They simply have a white space on them so you can label them as you wish.
I didn't start labeling the ounces until I was well into my third month of pumping! (No one suggested it to me.) So now I just grab one that looks like it might be about 4 ounces and hope I can get two feedings out of it.
I put them into a zip lock bag when I thaw them in water to prevent spillage, etc. I have just purchased the Via containers from Avent with the adaptor so that my Madela pump can pump directly into the containers. I am not freezing these however so that may make a difference.
I guess this was a long way of saying I'm not sure if I can help you much. I separated all my smaller bags by weeks and put a week's worth of pumped milk bags into a grocery bag labeled with the dates of that week. I am now working my way through oldest to newest but now with the added challenge of giving fresh milk too. Now I have to really watch dates and whether the thawed milk is given first or fresh. Can't spend too much time in the fridge, etc.
Pumping is hard work and it takes a dedication that I never understood before. Keep up the good work!

6:38 AM  
Blogger LL said...

Another reader from cecily here....
I currently breastfeed & then give approx 1 oz of EBM at every feed at the moment to fatten up my daughter. At the moment any extra I express (i don't seem to get very much) goes into an icecube tray in the freezer(Tupperware makes one with a lid). I have a label on the lid which indicates which cubes were expressed when..

5:46 PM  
Blogger PJ said...

I'm not an exclusive pumper, but do pump at least daily to build a stash for when I'm working.

Great post about storage options. I use the Lansinoh and Gerber bags. We haven't had any casualties, that I know of, yet.

One thing that I've found to be indispensable is my hands free pumping bra. It's really great.

http://www.easyexpressionproducts.com/

8:53 AM  
Blogger laura said...

Ditto on the issues with the Lansinoh freezer bags - I end up measuring in the pump bottles, and then transfering the measurement to the bag. And I've had a few bags that have busted once I've started defrosting ... such a pain!

1:47 PM  
Blogger A said...

http://www.birthandbeyond.com/sllibmisttr.html

I have friends that swear by these...check them out

3:10 PM  
Blogger Kigwit said...

I pump only at work so I'm not an EPer. I use the gerber bags and lay them flat to freeze. I thaw them in warm water and then I cut the top of the bag off (just under the ziploc part) and then pour into the bottle.

I have some twist-tie bags but I was too worried about spillage to ever use them. BM is too precious and I would definitely cry over that spilt milk!

7:13 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I'm new to using storage bags. My 1st 3 I stored in bottles with the sealing caps.I bought parents choice 100CT they have zip locks. Easy to figure out. Also found NIB whisper wear 125CT. How in the world u get milk in them and then get them sealed for storage? HELP!!

8:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home