Wednesday, July 26, 2006

No one will know the underwear is dirty

Got an email from L. (I don't know if it's okay to post her name here or not, so to be on the safe side, I won't) asking some questions. And since answering them is SO MUCH more fun than doing those piles and piles of dirty icky laundry sitting on my washing machine, I guess I'll be answering them right now! Cause you know, in this heat, who needs to be wearing clothes anyway? (Way to rationalize my laziness, I know)

L.'s Q.s:
Do you ever leave the house? Do you have any time that you're not pumping or feeding? And do you ever pump and feed at the same time?

A.
Yes, I do manage to leave the house. I have to, I've got two older kids with their own schedules and stuff going on, and I need to meet their needs, too. But I'm not away for very long, not long a'tall. Between having to pump every 2-3 hours, and feeding Darth D. every 3-4 hours now, and working around his nap schedule, it becomes very tricky. But Darth D. does take a walk with me everyday when it's not too hot, and he does come with me to the supermarket, or on a short shopping trip...you get the idea.
I am definitely stuck at home most of the day. Thank God I have the luxury of being a stay-at-home mom, so I have more flexibility with my (and everyone else's) schedule. Plus I get to pump in the privacy of my own home.

You know, when you have your first child, it's hideously difficult to go through the transition from being an independent, free thinking adult, to a mush-brained parent who suddenly can't go to the bathroom alone. That moment when it hits you that you are a virtual slave to the needs of this baby, that you can no longer assume that any of your needs will ever be met, that it will be years before you can bet on getting a good night's sleep ever again...that moment reduces a lot of new moms to lay sobbing on their bathroom floors in a fetal position. I've been through that already. Darth D. is actually my third child. So I came into this situation already prepared for the fact that my time would not be my own, and things would be hard for a good long while. Of course, I thought I would be a slave to the baby, not also to a pump...but to me, it all boils down to dealing with reality as it is. I'm the mom, that's my job, and right now my job is pretty damn hard. But I also have the luxury of knowing that it will get easier. And much more fun.

I don't pump and feed at the same time, because I usually pump both breasts at the same time, and that takes two hands. Even when I do one breast at a time, I still only have one hand free, and I need both hands to give Darth D. a bottle. But I can do other things that only require one hand, like drink a cup of coffee or wave a toy in front of Darth D. to keep him occupied while I pump. A lot of the moms commenting have suggested getting a hands-free pump bra, though.
I would love for a mom who has that bra to explain how you feed and pump at the same time. The horns themselves take up space in front of you, how do you hold the baby to you while you're wearing the bra and pump?

4 Comments:

Blogger Liz Miller said...

I wouldn't suggest it for nursing at the same time, but it's FABULOUS for getting some time to read or blog or knit or fold socks.

You CAN nurse with it at the same time if your child can tolerate the football hold

7:53 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

Try laying Darth D on a pillow beside you and giving him a bottle that way. Love your blog, by the way! I'm an exclusive pumper too.
Karen

8:46 AM  
Blogger PJ said...

You're right, you really can't hold him while you're feeding him and pumping because all the stuff gets in the way. Like Karen suggested, lay him on a pillow while you feed him.

9:24 AM  
Blogger laura said...

Thanks, Pumping Mom ... tis me who asked the question. Maybe my babes are still small enough, but I can hook up the horns, prop my legs up in front of me (on the wall, table, crib) and lay a babe facing me on my legs, and feed him/her that way. Don't think it'll last long though. Thanks for asking all my questions. I'm amazed at how you do it all...

7:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home