Wednesday, August 30, 2006

I'm back

San Diego was great. Well, mostly great. Almost perfect, except for a few snags and (ahem) breaks along the way.

Things that went wrong:
Frst of all, Darth A. got sick the second day we were there. Like, fever of 103, throwing up, upset stomach, the works. By the end of the third day, we were debating whether I should go home with the baby and sick kid, and leave Darth B. with husband in San Diego.

But the night of the third day, as I was walking from the bathroom to the bed, I walked into a door and...broke my toe. How bad was the break, you ask?
Bad enough that I took one look at it and realized that I would be spending the next few hours in the emergency room.
Bad enough that husband took one look at it and said, "I better go get help."
Bad enough that I knew that if I didn't get it straightened out, it would become very difficult for me to wear closed-toe shoes.
Bad enough that it suddenly looked like I had a thumb on my foot.
It was BAD.

So off we went to the emergency room, leaving the Darths with the wife of one of my husband's co-workers. Three hours and four X-rays later, the doctor finally agreed that yes, my toe was, indeed, broken. He pulled it back up (without any pain medication or any damn WARNING for that matter, WHAT THE HELL??), wrapped it to the other toe with a wad of tape, and sent me on my merry way.

The next day, my toe was still causing a limp but I was fine on Advil, and Darth A. was all better, so we decided to stay the rest of the trip. It was great from there on in. We hung out at the beach or by the pool, went out to eat a lot, and basically took it easy.

I didn't pump once. By the second day, my breasts were completely back to normal in shape and feel. I can still squeeze a few drops out of them if I try, but I think that's completely normal and might actually take a while to stop.

So, my friends, my pumping days are officially over. I'll probably write one more post on what it felt like to stop pumping, how I did it, etc., since I've gotten some questions about that. But after that...I don't know. I don't know what to do with this blog. I am no longer a "Pump Mom." The factory has permanently shut down. Should I hand the blog over to another Pump Mom? Should I keep it running, and have, like, "guest bloggers"? Let me know what you think.

6 Comments:

Blogger laura said...

So sorry about the chaotic trip, which was one you were hoping to have some FUN on!

I think you should definetly let PUMPMOM live on ... perhaps hold an essay contest to determine the new author? :-) Who has time for essays? But if someone could take over, I think that'd be great!

4:23 PM  
Blogger pumpmom said...

Yes, I'm leaning toward handing the blog off to a new Pump Mom. I've never heard of this done before, but I think it would be appropriate under the circumstances.

5:12 PM  
Blogger Liz Miller said...

Let pump mom live. And keep blogging.

10:42 AM  
Blogger mc said...

I agree -- keep it going! It's such a great resource just to know that other folks are out there pumping away...

5:34 AM  
Blogger Karen said...

I'd definitely love to hear about the process of stopping. I have been exclusively pumping for almost 8 months now (my daughter will be 8 months next week) and I'm probably going to try to make it a year. But I have a nice stash in the freezer and may stop when she's 10-11 months.

I'm sad to see you go but certainly understand the stress of pumping as long as you have. You must feel so free! I'd love to see someone take this over. It's great support and info that is otherwise hard to find in the world of "breastfeeding."

6:55 AM  
Blogger Blossy said...

What if you were to somehow turn the blog into a forum? A place where pumping moms could come to share information, tips and support. I think it would be helpful to everyone who stops by here.

8:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home