Thursday, August 17, 2006

My creative side

As I sit, in pain, exhausted,
My breasts all hard and hot to touch
My goal's in reach, almost accomplished
I'll say "goodbye, lactating ducts!"

For (almost) five long months I pumped
These overfilled huge breasts of mine
So that my baby could get plumped
On only breast milk he did dine

At all hours, day and night
I hooked myself to the damn machine
None could help with me with my plight
I couldn't even drink caffeine!

I did the best I could, I know
to give the best food to my child
I kept on pumping, even though
The clogged milk ducts, they weren't mild

People really just don't get
how difficult pumping can be
it tedious, it's hell--and yet
I'm sure other mothers would agree

It's all worth it, if you feel
That breast milk is above the rest
But sadly, your ideal
Of putting baby to the breast--

Just won't happen. The babe won't suck
for one good reason or another
It's sad that you're just out of luck
DON'T FEEL GUILTY
You're still a good mother.

And when I look at my sweet son
My heart just melts, I swell with pride
I say to myself, "it was worth it, hon."
He is my joy personified.

3 Comments:

Blogger Liz Miller said...

Excellent poem.

I hope the weaning pain goes away quickly.

10:30 AM  
Blogger Blossy said...

Nice to see you're using your newfound free time wisely ;)

4:37 PM  
Blogger WinterWheat said...

Awww, that brings tears to my eyes. I ended up EPing after my daughter went on a nursing strike at 11 weeks due to rotten letdown on my part (complication of my autoimmune disease), and I'm still going at it. Why? I am a masochist. We'll make it to 7 months, then I'm going to gradually wean off the pump. Nervous about it (one episode of mastitis can do that to you), but looking forward to it too. :-)

7:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home